7.02.2008

If I were Lovie


Don't worry, we'll be posting some Baseball talk in the next couple of weeks. But for now, I wanted to discuss some Bears. I know its July, but I can't resist. So.. If I were Lovie Smith, I would start the following players on opening day.

QB. Rex Grossman. Ugh, I know. But the way I see it, Orton makes us a an 8-8 team and at best a 9-7 team that loses in the wild-card round of the playoffs. Not since Baltimore's fluke year (which hasn't been repeated since then) has a team won the Super bowl relying on solely its defense and a "don't do anything that might hurt us QB". Rex has his problems and is a risk. But with risk comes reward. Rex gets us a 5-11 record or a 11-5 record. I'll take the upside instead of a no-risk mediocre game plan.

RB. Mat Forte. The only time I want to see The Fake Adrien Peterson running with the ball is when he picks up a fumble on special teams coverage. Its really not that hard. Play Forte on 1st and 2nd down and use Garret Wolfe as a change of pace 3rd down back.

WRs. Wow soo many great ones to choose from. There was a reason why we got rid of Marty Booker in the first place- he's not that good. I start Mark Bradley (if healthy he is our best WR) and a combo of Brandon Lloyd/Earl Bennet/ or Rashied Davis at the 2nd spot. I then bring in Devin Hester as the 3rd wide receiver. I am not sold yet on having him as the #2 receiver. However, if the Windy City Flier can handle it I say get him on the field, often. As for Marty Booker, he's a good insurance policy once Bradley's knee gives out in the 2nd preseason game.

OL- Tait, Garza, Kreutz, someone other than metcalf, Chris Williams. Lets hope Williams grows up fast. At least for Grossman's sake.

TE. Greg Olson and Clark (With the M.State guy backing them up). As for Olson, he should be on the field every down. He is our best receiving option.

Defense.
Ogunleye, Harris, Dusty (Marcus Harrison once Dusty's foot breaks) and Alex Brown. We then shuffle in Anderson, Bazuin (if he exists), and Idonije. For once, I actually really like what the Bears have on the DL line. A little question of depth on the DT spot, but if T.Harris is healthy we'll be dominant up there.

LB- Briggs, Urlacher, Someone other than Hunter. Hunter is actually an underrated player. He's not bad, but also not good. Again, I am going with a high risk approach this year. I would like to see Jamar Williams take over this spot. I think he's got great potential, but has never been given the opportunity. Plus, I don't think Hunter is suited for the Cover 2 defense.

CB- Tillman, Vasher and R. Manning. R. MAnning isn't good enough to play the outside corner spots, but he is really good at the slot spot. I know Lovie doesn't like him and wants D. Manning to take this over. But, have you seen D. Manning play? To put this lightly, he F'in sucks.

S- Mike Brown (with the inevitable Craig Steltz filling in for him in Week 2 once Brown breaks his pelvis) and a combination of Kevin Payne/Brandon McGown/Steltz on the other side. This is by far our weakest position, which isn't good for a Cover 2 defense that relies on great safeties to cover a lot of ground. When healthy Brown is atop tier safety in this league. The problem for Brown is that "when healthy" means 2 weeks. Steltz or Payne need to grow up quick.

Special Teams. Devin Hester, Devin Hester and Devin Hester. Should there even by a question of whether Devin Hester should be returning every punt/kick off?

No comments: