8.20.2008

Chicago Bears: Optimism Edition


Looking at my past posts one could argue that I was a Green Bay Packers fan just hating on the misfortunes of the Chicago Bears. That couldn't be farther from the truth as I am a die hard Bears fan. So to counteract by pessimism, here's another Bears list. But, this time lets call me Mr. Brightside.

Things that make me believe Bears can go to the playoffs this year.

1. Kyle Orton starts taking shots downfield and succeeding. I've ripped Orton before, but during my visit to Bears Camp on Aug. 3rd, I did see an improved Orton throwing the ball. He doesn't have the zip or quick release of Grossman. But, he has a good arm, is tall and can better see the field, and won't drop back 15-20 yards when pressure gets in his face. So here's a little glass half-full; Orton could be a decent option at QB. Again, I just hope he can stretch the field a little.

2. Matt Forte, if given a hole(I know a big if), can get it done in the running game. He's big, quick, shows some elusiveness and could surprise people with his speed. Best of all, he is the anti-Benson. No moping around, no taking 10 seconds to get up after being tackled, and no whining. Even better, he's a great receiver. He's going to be a solid running back. Something the Bears haven't had in a while.

3. Devin Hester is still really freaking good. Maybe he's not a #1 WR. But he's the best KR/PR already to have EVER played the game. More importantly, in his limited time as a WR, he's looked pretty good. Even if he just has the "go-route" as his main offensive weapon, its a pretty good route to have. He's already beaten a few defenses with his blazing speed and I think he'll do it again.

4. Although this likely won't happen, I think Mark Bradley is a good WR. If healthy (again this is optimism time), he's shown that he's a good WR. Even better, Brandon Lloyd seems like a nice and cheap replacement for the overrated and over-paid Bernard Berrian.

5. The Bears have a great front 7. Adewale, Tommie Harris, Dusty, Alex Brown, Mark Anderson, and Izzy to name a few. Plus, the rookie DT, Harrison looks pretty good. Then add Urlacher and Briggs to the mix and you've got one of the best front 7s in football. I'll take that.

6. Mike Brown hasn't gotten hurt yet. Thats optimistic right?

7. Chris Williams will come back eventually. I've never seen him play and have no idea whether he'll ever anchor the line. But, he can't be terrible. See this is me being optimistic.

8. Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher are good CBs. I also think Graham is a sleeper.

9. Greg Olsen and Kellen Davis have the potential to be the top TE tandem in the league. Even better, Desmond Clark is a dedicated and reliable vet.

10. We've already been to the Super-bowl in 2006. Why can't we do it again in 2008? Before you answer that question remember to stay positive. Go Bears.

No comments: