8.13.2008

Okay, that Phelps guy is pretty good.


Backtrack to July 12, 2008. I'm racing my wife at the local pool. Let it be known that I'm a terrible swimmer (although I hold the world record for longest underwater swim with one breath in the CLR aka Chicago Loop Region). And after four laps, I repeat 4 laps across the pool I was done. Exhausted, finished, want to go home lay on the coach done.

Fast forward to August 12, 2008 and I'm talking to my Dad on the phone as the US swim team led by Michael Phelps, starts the 4 by 200 meter freestyle relay race. As Phelps gets to the end of his swim my Dad says, "This is too much. Ridiculous (first time I ever heard my Dad say that word), its not fair. Phelbes (he also cannot pronounce his name) is unbelievable. As the other swimmers dive into the pool and we near the end of the race, Dad yells "Ohh no. I can't even see the 2nd place guy. Where is he? Phelbes is too good. This is unfair".

Darn right. I don't really care or follow swimming. I don't have a Michael Phelps t-shirt in my closet. But I have to admit, Phelps is amazing. So while I'm no Spitz, I do appreciate greatness. And Michael Phelps is great. Its not too often you get to see dominance in sports, so I for one, I'm going to sit back and enjoy this guy. 10 Golds, the most ever by an Olympian! Two more Golds to get the record for most in a single Olympic Games. Tiger take a seat (seriously take a seat b/c Golf is f'in boring). USA basketball sit down (oh now you guys try. Thanks but its a little to late for me). Now, its Michael Phelps' time. To him I say, Bravo. And, as Dad says, "Phelbes is too good".

No comments: