8.05.2008

Chicago's Radio Personality Ratings.

The Score:
1. Mike North:
Grade: F
By far one of the worst sports radio personalities this city has ever witnessed. I thank god that his racially divisive and crude attempts at humor are no longer part of the Chicago airwaves. North is the Jay Marrioti of radio. A walking tabloid headline waiting to happen. I hope we never hear this moron's voice again.

2. Mully and Hanley:
Grade B: I like these guys, especially Mully. They give some reasoned sports analysis and offer a lot of passionate debate on our teams. However, they tend to go a little over the top. A little Sun-Times exaggeration if you know what I mean.

3. Boers and Bernstein:
Grade: Z. The worst, and I mean the worst sports radio tandem ever. I know, I'm going a little Bill Walton here with the exaggerations, but its deserved. The worst most insanely idiotic personalities on radio. They make Mike North look like John Madden in his prime. In fact, there are points during their broadcast that I don't understand one sentence that they are saying. And I am not ignorant. Their inside jokes are about as funny as the bully who makes fun of the mentally crippled kid. In fact, they are so humorless that an outside observer may deem the duo to be mentally crippled kids. Someone at the Score, PLEASE get rid of these two.

4. Lawrence Holmes:
Grade A. By far one of my more favorite sports hosts in the city. Love, admire, appreciate his Bears analysis. He gives solid analysis without being arrogant, over-the-top, or annoying. Just wished he was on air more.

5. Other Score positives: Mat Abba..., Hub Arkush. Negatives (people I could do without but are harmless: Doug Bafone, Mike Murphy.

ESPN:

1. Mike and Mike
Grade: B+. Yeah, they're national, but up until a few weeks ago it was M&M or Mike North. And you know how I feel about Mike North. M&M are solid. They've unfortunately gotten into the habit of inside jokes and discussing non-sports related items. Also, if watching on ESPN2 the highlight people (especially Sage Steel) make me want to rip my ears (although not my eyes) out. I could also do without the frequent commercial breaks. But overall, these guys are passionate and engaging. Their analysis is not perfect, but they get great guests and have fun with things without going overboard. Plus, its nice to see some humility and people who understand that they are privileged to have such jobs.

2. Waddle and Silvy:
Grade: B. I want to give these guys more, but in my opinion they talk way too much baseball and not enough football or basketball. I think Waddle is the best TV personality we have in this City. He is absolutely fantastic on NFL network and of the final word. I would go so far as to say that Waddle is one of the best NFL commentators in the nation. Crazy, I know I said it. But, for some reason it doesn't translate as well to the Radio. Silvy is good. But I like DeFalco better.

3. Matt, Jurko, Harry
Grade: D. I really just don't get these guys. They annoy the crap out of me. I lot of people like them and they are marginally better than B&B. But, I would rather have the guys noted below at this time slot.

4. The Show (Defalco, Dickerson, Hood)
Grade: A-. Love J. Hood. One of my favorite radio personalities next to L. Holmes. Defalco is engaging. I wish these guys were on in the afternoon instead of the people at 3 above. Again, like the other high grades, they get my approval because they offer solid analysis on sports, don't go overboard on the lame inside jokes, aren't arrogant, and talk passionately and smartly about our sports teams.

5. Tirico, Van Pelt
Grade: B-. Could do without Tirico. I actually like the show a lot better with Michelle Tafoya. Actually, she is surprisingly pretty good. Van Pelt is also good.

Well, they're you have it. Clearly as a younger person I tend to dislike the more established "old-timer" sports personalities, which just may be a reflection of a generational gap and not their ability. Overall, I would say that Chicago sports radio personalities get a B- grade. But on the bright side, it appears that things will get better. North is gone. With the low ratings B&B hopefully will be gone in the near future as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found your site in a search for local morning radio ratings after listening for a few minutes to Bufone on the Mully and Hanley show. Have to say that I agree with much of your analyses other than Waddle as he gets on my nerves for some reason. Seems to try to hard to be "fired up" and a trained broadcaster when on TV. Maybe it's the matchup with Corey McFerrin who's useless.

Regarding Mully, I wish he would calm down and if he has Bufone on the air, limit him to football analysis as their attempt to turn him into a comedian is a complete failure.

I agree the most with your assessment of Laurence Holmes and, across the dial, J. Hood and Carmen DeFalco which is a great team deserving of more time in a better slot. Dan.