2.10.2009

Tuesday Morning Thoughts: Friday Night Lights

It's all about Smash.

Completely and totally random.


1. I don’t know what’s up with me, but I’ve been watching all the awards shows. Sunday was the Grammy’s, which has to be the worst display of music I’ve seen in a while. It’s karaoke night mixed with high school variety/talent show. Of course there is still some good music—I like Cold Play and even some of the rap—fan of TI and old-school, non-crazy Kanye. Hate, hate Kid Rock, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and all the country music. But what’s even more absurd is the forced combo acts. The Stevie Wonder and Jonas Brothers combo made me want to go deaf. The Miley Cyrus and cute blond girl combo made me laugh. Although, it was cool seeing David Grohl on drums with Paul McCartney. But, I could do without all the collaborations. I couldn’t understand one line of the Jay-Z, Kanye, TI, MIA Performance. Oh yeah, and did I mention that the Jonas Brothers make me want to tear my ears out?


2. The absolute best (from a comedic standpoint) was the Miley Cyrus and random country/blond emo girl combination. Miley’s facial expressions are priceless. She looks like she’s taking crap when she sings. And this makes me laugh. Also, why would anyone allow her to sing next to the above mentioned country blond girl. The blond girl actually had talent and made Miley look like an amateur. Which I guess is watch she really is. Well, at least she’s paid like a professional.


3. No real sporting events to talk about. I don’t care about the hype of Kobe/Lebron. If I wanted to watch basketball players hog the ball and show off, I’d go watch East Bank Club pickup games during lunch. I’m just not that interested for some reason. I still have some football hangover that I need to get over. With the combine, free agency and draft coming up—that may be difficult.


4. Although I did watch Bulls vs. Kings on Saturday night (Loser!!!). It’s clear the Bulls are actually an okay team if they run a pro-offense. With movement, Deng, Tyrus, Noah and Rose get off quality shots. But, once they start going to the high pick and roll and dribble, dribble offense (think Gordon and Hinrich), they lose games. Del Negro’s play calling forcing the pick and roll at the end of regulation lost the Bulls the game against the Kings. Everyone, besides Rose, was watching and doing nothing on offense during the last few minutes. From Black, please stop using the high pick and roll. It will save your job.


5. They play something called college basketball in Indiana. My alma mater, Indiana, is simply not that good. Although, I can’t wait for March Madness.


6. Turn away- futbol thought….. Arsenal tied 0-0 away at Tottenham. This is what you do when football isn’t on anymore. You get up at 7am on Saturday morning and walk over to Fado to watch a 7:25am game. It was splendid though (Corned beef, eggs, potatoes and tea). Anyway, Arsenal is not playing well. I don’t think Arshavin will make things any different in the standings. At least Chelsea is having its own problems. Now all we need is C. Ronaldo to break a hip.


7. Friday Night Lights almost made me cry. Smash’s last minute conversation with Coach Taylor was emotional to say the least. If you’ve never watched FNL- do yourself a favor and watch the first three episodes of this year. By the end episode 2, you’ll thank me. Best show on TV that will likely get cancelled.


8. FNL will get canceled and yet implausible shows like these will live on… Private Practice, Grey’s Anatomy, the Mentalist, Life on Mars, the Closer with those annoying promos of Kara Sedgwick, Desperate Housewives, something called Fringe… you get the picture. Sorry, but Heroes and Lost suck too.


9. Bill Simmons’ pod casts are actually not that bad. Some are actually intriguing and very enjoyable- like the one with the dude from Mad Men.


10. Michael Phelp’s smoked weed. And I don’t care.


Extra Random Thoughts


11. Vegas Baby, Vegas.


12. Christina Hendricks has two of these? Answer here.


13. Is this Danica Patrick thing still going on? It must be on its last legs because she starred in those GoDaddy commercials. Nope... She's in SI Swimsuit again. She is trying, really, really hard to show us her body. I have to applaud the effort. But, someone should tell her that men are just not that into her.


14. It’s basically spring outside right now and it makes me happy.


15. Amare Stoudemire makes me scared. Not in a “oh my god, he strikes fear into opposing teams” way, but scary in the sense that if the Bulls get him he will suck and continue to not play defense.

No comments: