1.13.2009

Tuesday Morning Thoughts: Bears, Bulls, and Futbol

Christiano Ronaldo's girlfriend.

Completely random thoughts:

1. I now know what I need to do in order to become a Bears coach. Somehow become a buddy of Lovie Smith. It appears to be the only job requirement. Sure Rod Marrinelli is supposed to be a good Dline coach. But did we just forget that he coached the worst team in the history of football? How did Rod respond to that question in the interview? So Rod, explain to me why I should hire you considering you just coached a team to a 0-16 record? The funny thing is, I doubt Lovie ever asked that question.

2. Defense wins championships. Repeat- defense wins championships. Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Eagles have proven that more often than not, defense will get you to the Superbowl. Heck, even Arizona had to play great defense to get where they were at. An argument could be made that the Bears should stick to growing the defense rather than offense. I think they need better OL talent and a big #1 receiver. But I wouldn’t argue with them targeting a DE and safety with the first two picks of the draft this year (So long as those players are not from Div. 3 School. I can just hear it. “With the Bears first pick in the 2009 NFL Draft they select, Michael Smith, Defensive End from Div. 5 DuPage Community College).

3. Ummm. The Bulls sort of suck. No, they really suck. I know everybody dislikes Tyrus “Potential” Thomas. But, he played well last night against Portland in the third quarter on the defensive end. Then From Black takes him out at the end of the 3rd and we never see him again in the game. I am not saying he deserves to play the whole game, but no player can get better with the random lineup rotations that Del Negro uses. Well, except Derick the Bermuda Rose of course.

4. Yeah, Florida won the BCS National Championship. Yawn. Boring. Stupid. I wonder if these coaches realize that one day, (and it has to happen) when there is a playoff and real championship that all those past BCS winners will have a large asterisk next to their school’s names. Once we have a real playoff, no one will care that Florida won the BCS. It will all start over. B.B.C.S. or Before B.C.S will be meaningless.

5. There are way too many pick-up truck commercials during sporting events.

6. Christiano Ronaldo is the best futbol player in the world. No doubt. Too bad he plays for Manchester United and not my beloved Arsenal. And yes, I did just throw in a futbol thought.

7. I miss fantasy football. But, I don’t miss losing in Fantasy football.

8. Greg Couch just wrote the most poorly written sport’s article that I’ve read in a long time. But, I do agree with his arguments. Paxson deserves blame for the Bulls play. See here.

9. Tony Dungy isn’t a hall of fame coach. He got booted out of Tampa Bay. Jon Gruden took over and led the same exact team to a Superbowl victory. In Indy, he did win a SB. But, more often than not, they lost in their first playoff game. Plus, it’s hard to give him credit for the offense. That was all Peyton Manning and the offensive coordinator. Dungy focused on the defense. A defense that wasn’t all that good.

10. I don’t like making predictions because predictions are completely irrelevant. Nobody can foresee the future. So this means absolutely nothing. But…….. Kurt Warner is going to fall on his face this Sunday. Repeat- this means nothing.

No comments: