9.29.2008

Bears: Better lucky than Good

For the life of me, I can't understand how we managed to win the game last night. We turned the ball for what seemed like 10 times. Our defense played 90% of the second half. And our offense was as incompetent as Sara Palin. I guess after undeservedly losing two games we should have won, good luck finally caught up with us. I'll take 2-2. And as Lovie will say (read in thick southern idiot accent), "Its the first quarter of the season, we're 2-2 and in 1st place". Spoken as if we're going to the Superbowl. Alright, quick thoughts on the game.

1. Our offensive line is not that good. We had trouble running the ball against the 8-9 man fronts and they constantly got beat in the passing game. I fault Orton for being a bad QB, but a lot of his turnovers and problems had to do with the shaky line play.

2. Speaking of Orton. He made nice throws on the TDs. But basically again, I think what we see are receivers making great plays to get open and catch balls. Orton's passes to Olsen and Hester showed some good touch. But again when you play a team that is simply taking away your running game, blitzing and stacking the box, this is what a QB should do; throw the loft ball over the top. The one great throw was the throw to Booker for his TD. However, Orton still doesn't do it for me. He waited to long to read the defense on blitzes, throwing costly turnovers (the one in the end-zone killed me), and fumbling the ball a few times. If we're grading him as a game manager, the guy gets an F. Lastly, I really want to punch him in the face when he does that smile/grimace look after he throws a terrible pass. I can't stand that f'in look.

3. In the second half our offense was simply incompetent. The offense made my point last week that the Bears are basically the Bush administration- i.e. incompetent. Orton's fumbles, the INT in the End zone, and the inability to make a simple hand off. I could only imagine what was going on in the mind of Urlacher after that play. I think the offense even went into Sara Palin territory. Palin thinks she understands foreign policy because she can see Russia from Alaska. I think the Bears believe they understand how to run an offense because they've seen tape of the Colts offense. Just terrible. Its a win, but this isn't playoff offense we're seeing here.

3. The defense played great yesterday considering that they played 90%of the time in the 2nd half. They still can't manage to get pressure by rushing four (which leads to teams easily dissecting the Cover 2), but they still got it done. The goal line stand was great.

4. Going along with number 1 above. We need to do something about giving Forte some holes to run through. Whether its stretching the passing game or just figuring out how to deal with the 8 man front, I think we're wasting the talent of our best offensive weapon in Forte. The guy is good. But if there are no holes, you can't run.

5. I'm glad Devin Hester was back last night. You could tell he wasn't 100% on the returns b/c he just didn't have that extra burst or wiggle. But, his speed was evident on offense. Great touchdown play by simply outrunning the DB. He also should have had another TD, but dropped a pretty easy pass.

I'll take 2-2. Sometimes it is just better to be lucky than good.

No comments: