9.08.2008

Chicago Bears Adopt Blueprint Created in 1932.

Last week I wrote the following,"We (Bears) win because (a) we can run the rock and (b) we play great defense. This depends largely on our OL and DL play. Let’s just get an OL good enough to give our average QB time to make a few throws, while our running game dominates and our defense holds opponents to low scores." Last night, the Bears ran the rock, dominated on defense and gave our average QB a chance to make a few plays. Well, done Bears.

I'm not re-hashing my quote above to honor my football savvy. The simple truth is that the Bears, since the beginning of time, have always succeeded by running the ball, playing great defense and using the play-action game to make a few good throws. This is nothing new. They probably did it in 1932. Again, run the rock, play great defense, and give our average QB enough time to make a couple of nice throws. Alright, now to some insight on the game last night.

1. Matt Forte is solid. Darn he looked good last night. It was nice to see the OL man-handling the Colts-D. It seemed like every carry gave us at least 5 yards. Even better, Forte made a lot of Colts players miss last night. He showed great footwork and good speed. Its only been one game, but we now need a nickname for Forte. Hmmmmm. Matt "truck" Forte? No stupid.

2. Kyle is our Quarterback. Alright, I'm not a big fan of the guy. But, I'll give credit to Lovie and the coaching staff. They took the ball out of his hands and gave it to Forte and Jones. After we ran on them all night, the passing game was wide open for Orton to make a few nice throws. Its clear the Bears offense is going to be a run offense spattered with a few play-action throws. Thats fine with me.

3. I hate on these guys a lot (Lovie and Babich), but I loved their defensive scheme last night. They got right up in the Colts faces. Unlike the terrible and soft Cover 2 they played in the Super-Bowl, the Bears used a lot of different looks, crowding the line and blitzing. It was a perfectly called game. Good stuff coaches.

4. To people who criticize Hester's play last night. Agreed it was stupid. But that's Devin. You can't be surprised he did that last night. 4/10 times that stupid looking play in the end-zone goes for 6 points for the Bears. I don't like the downside, but I love that upside.

Alright, so what about the bad things? No real bad things in a greatly played game, but....

1. What if we play a team that can stop the run? The Colts have always been a poor run stopping defense. So I wonder what happens when we play a defense that can stop the run. Can we give the ball to Orton and ask him to win games? I doubt it. Can our OL dominate a better DL? I don't know.

2. Peyton Manning didn't look like himself last night. A lot of that was due to great defense. But, even with all the blitzing and different looks we didn't have great pressure on the guy. Absent a sack from Alex Brown and great coverage sack/pressures, I don't think we got it done yesterday. Bears DL needs to get more pressure on the QB.

Anyway, great game Bears. It certainly surprised me.

No comments: