11.10.2008

Chicago Bears vs. Titans: The Final Chapter on Rex Grossman


My great friend, lets call him Grizzly b/c he's a hairy one, text messaged me after the game, "If Orton played, we beat the Titans!". For the first time in the Grossman era, I had to agree with him: If Orton's in the game, I think we got a chance to beat the best team (record wise) in football. Which says something about how far Orton has come, but is really a damming conclusion on how terrible Rex Grossman is. But Grossman's performance wasn't the only reason for the Bears loss. Let us examine.

1. Grossman is just too small to become an elite QB in this league. Unlike Orton who can see the entire field, Grossman has to find throwing lanes between tall lineman to make passes. So instead of seeing 70% of the field, Grossman's height automatically reduces his field of vision to around 30-40%. That's a lot of "he didn't see the linebacker or safety and he just threw a terrible interception" type plays. Even worse, Grossman's confidence is ground-low (opposite I think of sky high). He looks scared and lost out there sometimes. Almost as if he needs a big hug. I've been the biggest Grossman backer, but now even I have to admit, Grossman's career is done in Chicago. I wish him the best of luck in the future. But as for this book? I'm done reading it.

2. I'm going to sound like a Jay Marriotti column when I say this next paragraph. (I.e. I've said this comment about 20 times already and will repeat the same theme again and again.). But, the Bears defensive line is just terrible. Think about the QBs we've made look like Pro-Bowlers. Brian Griese, Matt Ryan, John Kitna, Orlovsky, Guss Ferrotte, and now Kerry Collins. We stopped the run. But, we also gave up 290 passing yards and 2 passing TDs yesterday. Kerry Collins looked as if he was the 3rd little piggy chilling in his brick house. He had all day to make plays. No pressure from Alex Brown or Ogunleye. Even worse, when we did send extra blitzes, we STILL couldn't get to the QB. There is no reason that you can't get to the QB, when you send Briggs, Brown and Urlacher on a blitz. What kind of blitzes are we calling Babich? For what seems like the 9 straight game, the Bears couldn't get to the QB.

3. Our offense finally started to pick things up when we went into the no huddle offense late in the 4th quarter. But why did it take us so long to get into it? Its worked the past 8 games for Orton, why didn't we go too it sooner?

4. The bright spots of the game? Forte still looks great. He had over 100 yards running/receiving and scored a TD. Urlacher finally showed up yesterday and made a lot of plays stopping the run. Greg Olsen had a few nice plays. Devin Hester looks to be excelling as a WR. If Grossman doesn't overthrow Hester on that deep throw, DH has got a 60 yard plus TD.

5. Goats (besides Grossman and entire DL?) : Charles Tillman for repeatedly giving his man the come back route. Vasher for getting schooled by Justin f'n Gage. Kevin Payne for having no impact on the game (sorry, I don't buy into the Payne hype machine). Lastly, Lovie Smith, Turner and Babich for not coaching poorly (they did an okay job), but failing to out-coach the opposing team.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you are starting to see the
light. The Bears should start the rookie if Orton isn't ready Sunday but, won't. The defense needs to press receivers and get to the qb.

In the off season Ted Phillips needs to clean house. Perhaps, he should look to the college ranks for a G.M.
a coach or a A.D. whoever does recruiting at a successful program.
Jim Fassel is available for head coach. Just my suggestion.

If you're thinking Jerry Angelo is
a good G.M. I have two recent examples to say he is not. Keeping Rex Grossman, when they had Brian Griese under contract. Swapping 2nd
round picks with the Jets and by the way here take Thomas Jones. I also have draft pick examples, 1st round busts, Grossman, Haynes, 4th overall Cedric Benson (just let A.T. go because he was nothing special. Bensons' scouting report sounded alot like A.T. to me but, as we know he wasn't nearly as good.). I could go on but I believe that is enough.

DaChiFan said...

Love the comment. I'm not much of an Angelo/Lovie Smith fan. In fact, I've said on this website that I don't think the BEars will ever win a SB with those two at the helm. But, I disagree as to your suggestion with college coaches and ADs. Its a nice alternative thought, but one that hasn't proved successful in the past. Plus, college coaches turning pro have had mixed results. But you are on to a great point, if Bears falter this year, is it rebuilding time? The defense isn't getting younger and that OL is getting up there as well. Lets hope they don't falter because I don't think I could take a rebuilding year.