3.10.2009

Tuesday Morning Thoughts: Cubs, Sox and Blackhawks

Reed Johnson of the Cubs.

A little sprinkle of Cubs, Sox and Hawk.s

1. There is no better sport’s quote than T.O.’s “I love me some me”. It just doesn’t get any better than that.


2. I like the Kevin Jones signing. Hopefully, the Bears will actually play him this year. Forte is still the man of course, but Jones can alleviate Forte’s carry burden. Then, (and I realize this is completely crazy and so out of the box), we can use Garret Wolfe sometimes as a 3rd down running back. If Darren Sproles can do it, so can Wolfe. Unfortunately, I hear talks of them getting rid of Wolfe for the Fake Russell Athletic Adrian Peterson. If true, the Bears must still want to give more time for Fake AP to develop. As if his ceiling didn’t occur 5 years ago. Seriously, drop Fake AP like it’s hot and utilize the strengths of your RBs.


3. It is impossible to say anything about the Bulls. They’re like that blue girl in the X-Men movies, constantly changing. Sometimes they are good, sometimes bad, and a whole lot of average. I want to say that Salmons and Brad Miller are a great addition, but I can’t several games left in the season. I want to praise Tyrus and Noah, but that’s just bound to come back to haunt me. This I do know, Deng’s soft and Hinrich’s best position is bench player. To think that we may let Ben Gordon go, (a guy that I’m not even a big fan of) because of the bloated salaries of Deng and Hinrich is ridiculous.


4. The World Baseball Classic is occurring at this moment. Baseball must be the only sport where the most insignificant countries can reach the big stage: Cuba, Dominic Republic, and Puerto Rico. How are countries with populations of 4 to 11 million people able to compete at this level? Pretty simple, people in Europe, Africa, and South American just don’t give a f$%^ about baseball (Venezuela and Holland don't count). But, it’s still impressive as they are going up against the U.S.A. with population of 300 million and competing. Does everyone just take “Boli” in these countries?


5. At the risk of saying anything about the unsteady Bulls, I would be comfortable seeing the Bulls in the playoffs with a lineup of Noah, Tyrus, Deng, Salmons and Rose with BG scoring points off the bench and Miller coming in for Noah and Tyrus. Kirk can give Rose some minutes as well. That’s already a much better defensive unit than the current roster. However, we can’t rely on Deng evidently because his pinky may get hurt. So it’s probably Salmons at SF with Gordon playing SG, which is fine.


6. I like this Reed Johnson guy of the Cubs. I kind of like Gordon Beckham of the Sox. I’m excited to see what this Samuel Pahlsson guy can do for the Hawks. Check, check and check.


7. I recently watched Step Brothers and I actually loved it. It made me laugh a lot. I think the key to liking these movies is attitude and circumstance. Watching this kind of movie with a couple of friends, late at night, on DVD, in a good mood, with no expectations drastically increases the odds of liking this kind of movie. If you watch Step Brothers with high expectations, in a movie theater, when you are in the mood for a drama, it’s just not going to happen.


8. While writing this, I think Luol Deng broke his left anterior eyelash. He’s out 2 weeks.


9. March Madness is around the corner. I’ve got to win one of these office/friends’ pools once in my lifetime. Any thoughts? I don’t watch enough college basketball to have any informed thought, so I usually just copy Seth Davis’ predictions. But here’s the thing, Seth Davis (or any of these TV personalities) have no clue what’s going to happen. I then go to my second order rankings. I dismiss all the pseudo large conferences like the Big 12 and anyone other than Memphis in whatever conference they play in. Pitts out because it f’n Pittsburgh. They shouldn’t win anything not related to NFL football. Louisville? No, too dainty for me. Duke? No, not dark enough (j/K). No, seriously they won’t win it. Oklahoma? How on god’s green earth do I pick and root for a team from Oklahoma? Pac-10? Over-rated, Da Da DADA-DA, OVER-RATED, Da DA DADA-DA. Big Ten? They’ll have one team go far simply because no other conference is prepared for the 35 to 28 score-line. But you can’t pick one of the Big Ten teams to go all the way- either they go to the final four or lose in the 1st round. Big Ten teams are too big of a risk. I really like the U-Conns of the world, but I don’t think they have enough. . Alright, North Carolina. (See how my logic doesn’t get me anywhere).


10. I tried watching that Comcast show, Monsters in the Morning with Jiggets and Mike North. Unwatchable. I couldn’t go longer than 5 minutes. I love Jiggets, but Mike North makes my ears want to vomit. It’s like they obtained food poisoning, except its audible, and my body needs to regurgitate what it heard. Mike North is terrible. I listen to him and always think “What? Do they speak English in What? “ I just can’t understand what he’s saying. For those of you who love Mike North, well let’s just say we have different tastes.


More Random Thoughts….


11. Quick what’s the college that Bill Cosby wanted Denise to attend? It’s the same one that created the spin off- A Different World? Hillman!! Part of me always wanted to attend the fictional Hillman.


12. A friend of mine made me watch a full episode of King of Queens with Kevin James. I like Kevin James, but let’s just say I won’t be seeking said friend’s advice on the merits of a TV show.


13. I went to Indiana for college, which was fine. But, if I had to it all over again, I would have tried to attend North Carolina, even Duke, and maybe some west coast school like USC. Maybe even a Penn State or Michigan.


14. On the other hand, these schools would be off my list: Purdue, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, or even a Pittsburgh (I could go on, but you get the point). No sound basis for this, just my thoughts.



No comments: