6.10.2008

Benz-Gone

I have to admit it, I fell in love with Cedric Benson on draft day. It was 2005 and I was sitting at my relative Omar's Northwestern apartment, made for partying (although I don't think they do that at NU). I knew next to nothing about the man I called Benz-on (a counterpoint to "Cadillac" Williams). Omar's roommate, an Oakland Raiders fan said, "you guys are gonna just love Benson, he was great in college". Benson seemed to be the ideal pick. He had a great college resume, was durable and could carry the load of Bears "get off the bus running" offense.

I fell in romantic-comedy love even more when Benson started crying after he was selected. I loved it. Benson had heart, passion and some unknown past that he was seemingly overcoming. He acted like he got passed over because the Dolphins picked Ronnie Brown a relative unknown and half-used running back at Auburn. Maybe he held a little grudge, maybe he wanted vindication on the NFL football field to prove his doubters wrong. I didn't know, I just loved that this guy had something different in him.


Boy was I f'n wrong. The You-Tube Texas highlight reel (on this page somewhere) Benson never showed up to the NFL. Its almost as if the real Cedric Benson is sitting somewhere waiting for Jerry Angelo to call him to report for his first training camp.

But like an abused wife, I kept on loving the guy. When he failed to beat out Thomas Jones, I lashed out calling Thomas Jones overrated (which I think he was). When he couldn't carry the rock for the Bears last year, I never blamed him. Instead, I pointed the finger at the offensive line.

Worse, last year with my second pick in my fantasy draft I selected Benson over the likes of Adrien Peterson. I started him almost every game hoping he would retrieve his Texas style running. Never happened. Instead, he got hurt on his largest running play of the year, and likely his career.

For some reason it never happened with Benson. Maybe that crying on draft day was Benson's graduation day. Maybe he was crying because he felt he had already made it. Were they tears of joy pouring like the dollars he would soon receive? I don't know. All I know is just like the promising Tank Johnson Bears career, Cedric Benson is gone.

As for my man love? Don't worry I just got out of that lousy relationship. I showed Benson the door. Even better, I am thinking about dating again. That Matt Forte sure looks good.


See Cedric's Texas highlight reel here.

2 comments:

Sprees said...

nicely put -- if only he carried the rock last season as far as he carried the jack (daniels) this summer, we woulda done much better!

Anonymous said...

agreed. Time to turn the chapter