6.23.2008

What we're Missing


Its essentially the 130th minute of the Spain/Italy game on Sunday. I am sitting at a 45 degree angle, feet on the floor, behind barely on the seat and lost in Spain-ish adoration. I don't know why. Maybe its their great uniforms, the way they chant Ole, Ole, Ole!, or maybe my man crush on Cesc Fabregas (of my beloved Arsenal), but I have fallen for Spain and literally can't get up off my Sunday couch. "take me, Spanish caravan, yes I know you can.........."

There is simply no scientific or rational reason why an American and Egyptian should be wasting his rare beautiful Chicago Sunday sitting on a couch, yelling, screaming and rooting for a team/country he has no affiliation with.

Now I, like most anti-Patriots fans rooted like crazy when David Tyree plucked that Eli Manning pass in the Superbowl. But, we did that out of hate for Boston arrogance. We certainly didn't admire or like Eli Manning or PlexiGlass. No, we just were anti-rooting against the Pats. It could have been Eagles, Cowboys or even Lions in that Superbowl and we still would have rooted for the Pats to lose.

Euro 2008 is dissimilar in the sense that we actually root for an opposing country we have no affiliation with. Despite some similar hating instances (Friend openly hating Russia for their stereotypical coldness of a culture), Futbol fans attach themselves to faraway teams.

In my mind at least from a US perspective, I think its because we are missing something here in the States. Unlike any other sport, Futbol brings nation's together. When England plays Germany its not just a game, its a sequel to World War II. Absent the US Hockey team beating Russia (which I never cared about), we don't have anything similar here. This country seems to care more about golf and poker than Futbol. Plus, its not like the US futbol team is going to win it all in the near future.

So for now, consider me Spain-ish (or even Turkish against the Germans).

"Carry me Caravan take me away
Take me to Portugal, take me to Spain
Andalusia with fields full of grain
I have to see you again and again
Take me, Spanish Caravan
Yes, I know you can" -Doors

No comments: