6.16.2008

My Top Ten


Since I am not a baseball guy and the NFL and NBA are essentially in or about to be in off-season mode, I thought I would compile my top ten most memorable sports figures/events of my life. This isn't meant to be a top ten best players or players I most like, just the most memorable players or sports moments in my life. Here we go in order.

10. Diego Maradona. Yeah, weird right? Maradona was short, stocky and seemingly nonathletic. But, he was also one of the best futbol players to ever play. He was some weird merger of George Costanza and Steve Nash on the soccer field, weaving through endless helpless defenders. I first watched Maradona on a VHS tape during one of the 80's World Cups (86 I beleive). At that time, it was hard to find a live futbol game on in the states, but somehow my dad had taped every game with Maradona on it. I'll never forget him taking the ball from half-field and dribbling past defenders and slotting it in the back of the net. And of course, the hand of god goal was the moment that I said "I got to play this game".

9. Refrigerator Perry and 85 Bears. This stands out as the first sporting memory of my life. 85 Bears vs. Patriots in the Super Bowl. I distinctly remember my grade school in the week leading up the game. The whole school was wearing blue and orange, girls were wearing Bears chearleader outfits (still don't know how they got those). It was just mad Bears Hysteria. As for game day, I was at my sister's grungy apartment in Westmont, Illinois sitting on the ground because all the grown ups had the seats. I was just in awe as the Bears put a beatdown on those Pats. I'll never forget that.

8. MJ's autograph. It had to have been in '88 or '89. Must have been before before all the rings. Pop's had tickets from work. We went early and without knowing it was autograph night, where the first X fans got a photograph of the team and players were stationed throughout the Chicago Stadium giving autographs. Of course, I headed straight to MJ (as did everyone else), waiting in line for a long time and then... then met the best player to EVER play ball. I don't even think I said hi, or my name is X, I justed stared in awe. Like a deer in headlights. MJ, probably accustomed to this response just took the photograph and give his signature. Never have two words meant so much to me. (PS the only other autograph I could garner that night was Bill Cartwright's- Scottie and Horace blew me off).

7. Wold Cup 2006 live in Germany in Berlin in the Olympic Stadium (where the infamous Hitler photo at Olympics took place) amongst what had to be 70K plus screaming Sweden fans yelling "Svere" or something for 90 minutes. Absolutely, brilliant fan worship.

Also, in Munich chilling at a cafe at night after a Germany game. Germans won the game and 5 minutes later every Kraut in the city fell upon the plaza and just went crazy for an hour or so chanting and signing. That kind of shit just doesn't happen here.

6. Bulls losing to the Pistons twice in eastern conference finals. This is not so much of a memory as it is a nightmare. Both times I was at some weird family friend's place and both times Bulls get beaten. I think I cried. Pretty sure I saw my Dad cry. Pippen sure as hell cried or at least wet his pants. God, I hated those Pistons teams. Lambeer, Rodman, Isiah? Just Dirty.

5. First 9.7 seconds of Bears Superbowl versus Patriots in '06. I knew the Bears weren't as good as Colts. They peaked in week 4. But with losses to Tommie Harris and Mike Brown their defense wasn't the same. But for those 9.7 euphoric Devin Hester miracle seconds I thought we could win it. Like it was just destiny. God was like, sorry Colts I'm just a Bears fan, have always loved the Bears since George Hallas days or something.

4. My first MJ "holly f'in shit did he just do that moment". I can't remember the team, (although I think it was the Cavs or Atlanta), the year or who won the game (safe to say I think Bulls won). But, Jordan had a fast break dunk, went up did a 360 and jammed it in. And it wasn't like a Vince Carter power 360 dunk. It was like a "I am taking off, going to chill in the air awhile, my legs are going to do weird things, every muscle will be moving, most artistic dunk you have ever seen dunk"

3. Zidan (not the head-butt thing, although that was memorable) in Euro 2000 when France dominated every team. I was studying abroad in England. England of course was overrated and lost early on. But Zizou, my favorite futbol player of all time dominated that tournament like he was Pele. I still remember watching the tube as the french celebrated in the streets. I know american's are supposed to dislike the French. But I don't know why, but I love their futbol teams. Zizou especially.


2. Bulls sweeping the Pistons in 4. Sorry, SagiNasty but that was even better than beating the Lakers in the finals of that same year. I loved that the dirty Pistons wouldn't even shake the Bulls hand. No class at all. Jordan and Pippen finally get over the hump and Pistons franchise died (at least until recently). The Pistons, Lakers, Celtics chapter was over and the Bulls novel started.



1. Not a big surprise here. Jordan dribbling against the entire Utah team for a lay-up. Stealing the ball from a Karl Malone and hitting the game winning jumper to finish off the Jazz in 6 of the finals. And no, I refuse to admit that Jordan pushed off on that play. He didn't, it was just a bad camera angle that made people think so.

I also just recalled yesterday that this was Game 6 in Utah. Pippen's back hurt, the whole team sucked. Jordan was possibly sick with influenza or something and a loss meant a game 7 in Utah. If Jordan's doesn't hit that shot, Bulls could have potentially lost (PS No way Bulls lose with MJ playing in Game 7 anyway. Just couldn't happen with him still with two legs and two arms).

No comments: