6.26.2008

DaChiFan SagiNasty Draft Chat Wrap.

DaChiFan and SagiNasty Bag just went through a marathon “back and forth” on the NBA draft, here is the “chat wrap”.

DaChiFan
1. Chicago Bulls- Derik Rose
Before I get into what I think the Bulls should do, let me ask, what do you want out of a number 1 pick in the NBA draft? To me, ideally it's a guy who can lead your team to the NBA championship. Right? With the top few picks, you want a Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, Garnet, Duncan kind of player. A player, that as long as you put some role players around him, you got a legit chance of winning a championship one day. So before I get to the Bulls, I ask SagiNasty, is there a guy in this draft of that caliber?
Unfortunately, to me at least, there isn't. Rose is a great player and I think the Bulls would be foolish not to select him. But, he isn't going to carry a team to the Finals on his back. Just like at Memphis he is going to need one or even two players that can handle the scoring load at the end of games. Beasley you say? Beasley is an undersized PF, who should be playing small forward but may be a little too slow to guard the NBA's SFs. He is 6'7. I repeat, Beasley is 6'7. Unless he is the next Charles Barkley, Beasley is going to be a moderate to good PF, but never a carry your team on his back type of player. I love his skill level (imagine a PF who actually has post moves and can shoot the ball), but is he going to consistently be able to dominate a game at that height when he has bigger and taller PF's guarding him? In the end, I think not. After he gets ruffed up on the inside, he is going to become an outside shooter. At best, he is KG (with only his outside shot), and at worst, there is potential for Antoine Walker here.
So back to the Bulls. Its not like Rose and Beasley are bad players. They are the best two players in this draft. But, I still think if the Bulls pick either one of them, they're still one great, or may be two very good players away from winning it all. With that being said, I do really like Rose. He is a pass-first point guard, something the Bulls haven't had in a very long time. In addition, Rose is a MAN. He is tall for a PG, strong for a PG, and quicker than hell. (Note as opposed to Beasley who will be smaller and weaker than a lot of PFs in this league). Here's to the Rose era.
-------
SagiNasty Bag
There might be a guy in this draft that can lead a team to the title, and maybe that is Rose, as he lead Memphis to a title game. I would choose Rose over Beasley as well, but for how long now have the Bulls needed a low post scorer and suddenly here he is in the form of a undersized but extremely talented Michael Beasley. Perhaps similar to ATL a couple years ago when they were awash with PFs, badly needed a PG, and took Williams over CP3? As a Pistons fan, this theory interests me and I gleefully wait to use it on Bulls fans after next year's 30-52.

I wonder if playing for the hometown team, as the number 1 overall pick, the messiah who will bring da Bulls back to the tongue-wagging no-tipping ways of the 90's is a bit much of a burden for a 19 yr old kid. To that, who knows.

Which is not to say that Beasley isn't talented, because he is. And apparently well-traveled too, as he has been to multiple high schools (as had Amare Stoudimire - who seems to be doing OK and went a little later in the draft partly because his high school visa had plenty of stamps on it). At least the Bulls aren't think about drafting a multi-syllabled Greek player instead.

I think Rose is the best player in the draft and the Bulls should take. I hope they don't.

2. Miami Heat Dignity

Damn I hate the Miami Heat. Pat Riley and his bailing out on his team multiple times, throwing Stan Van Gundy under the bus to win a title, the way that title was one with the help of "don't look even cross-eyed at Wade or we will call a foul" philosophy. Kill me. Am I bitter? Yes. Am I a little biased against Wade? Yes. Do I still despise the Heat and am glad that they got their come-upins last year? You betcha.

And what is with that whole "knocked down 7, get up 8" Wade marketing campaign? In what position is he starting in? If he gets knocked down once, then he gets back up, then the totals are "1" and "1". How can you get up if you are already up? It's like thinking about predestination. So circular...but how can he get up if he is already up...head hurts....spinning...need scotch....

2. Miami Heat. Beastly, Micheal

Micheal Beastley. Better college numbers than Durant. Miami can put him at forward (either spot), along with the Matrix and Wade, play a little SSoL (7 seconds or less) and I think that is a pretty good team. I didn't really watch a ton of K-State games last year, so I am just going off hearsay (objection!!!) knowledge of the kid, but if I were a Miami fan, and I am not, I would first stop pretending to be the Lakers East and get to the games on time, punch myself in the face for rooting for a completely unlikeable team second, and third, I would be ecstatic that the Beast is going to be on my team.
-----
DaChiFan
Wait, back to the Bulls for a second. I see your logic that the Bulls need a low post scorer, but disagree that they are okay at PG/SG. Sorry, I don’t count Hinrich, Gordon and Hughes as a solid backcourt. They’re more like trade bait, waiting for Memphis-like GM fish to bite them, while regurgitating a Gasol like NBA player. Thus, I think the Bulls need both a backcourt and frontcourt player. Plus, while we are at it they need a SF and 7 more bench players.
Anyway, I think we are agreed that its Rose going one and Beasley two to the Heat.

3. Minnesota, GM

I heard McHale, who somehow still has a job LOVES Love from UCLA. Which to me is similar to loving Shaun Alexander, the one-time most overrated player in the NFL. How does a GM who never put enough talent around one of the greatest PF to play the game in KG, still have a job after trading away KG? Who’s the owner of the Wolves, George Bush (sorry, just thought of the universal dumbest person)? No sorry, not even George Bush would have kept McHale as GM. He would have asked him to resign and replaced him with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Sorry, back to sports. Seriously, I know he is a hall of famer and likely an intelligent guy, but in a result based society, people like McHale MUST be fired. When the owner sits down with McHale for his yearly review does he not get upset when McHale responds, “lets see in the past few years, we haven’t been to the NBA finals, we haven’t made it to the playoffs the last couple years, and oh yeah, I just traded our best player to the Celtics, where we got peanuts in return, and our former best player, Kevin Garnet just won the title in his first year with the Celtics”. Crazy.

3. Minnesota, Mayo

I think you have to go with OJ Mayo here. He is going to be a solid player and maybe get to an all-star game or two before its all done and over. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders from the interviews I’ve seen him in. Besides the NCAA infractions, which don’t matter to the NBA, he seems like a logical pick. I guy who can score, pass and play great defense. It makes sense to me. As for Love, I think he is completely overrated. He is a poor man’s Brad Miller. Not bad, but not good enough to become the third pick in this draft. I’ve said this before, I still don’t understand the sports writers’ adoration of Kevin Love. I don’t know if it’s the UCLA thing acting like a Notre Dame football hype machine or the fact that he is a good white basketball player, but Love seems completely overrated to me. He’s like a mispriced stock, a yahoo.com if you will. Everyone’s buying him like it’s the dot.com era, except like an Amazon, he hasn’t provided a positive return yet. If I had money, I would short Love and buy Lopez or Eric Gordon.
----
SagiNasty Bag
I am not in love with Love's game. In fact, I do not love Love at all. For me to love Love, I would have to love not only Love the man, but Love the lover, which I refuse to do. I will now show myself out.

Anywhoo, I do not like Mayo with the T-Wolves. Correction, I do not think that McHale will draft Mayo. I think it is either Love or a little Micheal Jackson - Disney loving twin (the one with the offensive game) from that bastion of liberal thinking that is Stanford who is going to be drafted by the Wolves. They only way Mayo is drafted here is if the Wolves trade this pick. Why? I have a couple reasons: 1) the Wolves drafted Corey Brewer last year, and Rashad McCants two years before. There is your SF-SG positions right there. Drafting Mayo, in light of those two recent picks, is tantamount to admitting failure. I do not think McHale has the genital fortitude to pull this off.

And 2) the one good player on Minn is Al Jefferson, who had to play a lot of center last year. Got to protect your assets, right? And Mayo does not offer this kind of protection. Lopez does. Love doesn't either but I think McHale thinks that the Love might love to protect Jefferson, and because of Love's love he will succeed. (who let me back in here?). Would President Bush pick Love at this spot? Maybe, maybe not. His Texas Ranger teams were pretty good. I believe there were a couple division titles.......wait, what's that? Yes, the Rangers are a BASEBALL team (I-Truth's comments have have duly noted and his tone was not appreciated). So the man does have some since of discerning athletic talent. If a certain former President/possible first husband were in charge of the Timberwolves draft, he would give a speech about how he felt the Minnesota fan's pain of watching KG's Celtics win a title, then scare off the draft picks by giving them each a little Monica Lewinsky treatment with a Cohiba...

Mayo has the talent for three, but unless this pick is trading, I do not think he is going at three. I think Lopez or Love is the pick.

4. Seattle/Oklahoma Drew Nietzel.

In anticipation of their move to Okla City, the Sonics need a tough, rugged perimeter defender hailing from Grand Rapids via East Lansing who can.....
Sorry, there is only so far I can take that. How bout this:

4. Seattle/Oklahoma Kevin Love

Is the Pacific Northwest Love's home, um, region? Yes it is. Is this the same knock I had a against Rose? Yup. Even so, I like Love here. Yes is is ground-bound PF, but he won't need to score a lot with Durant and Green, thus he could be more of a facilitator. He can board, he plays hard, and has a great beard that will serve him well in Oklahoma. I think he is a good fit. And a safe pick. This is the Sonics draft history, before Durant and Green: Sene, Petro, Swift, Collison, Ridnour, Radmonovic, Mason, Maggette. Ugh. No wonder the Sonics suck.
------
DaChiFan
I'm Mcloven your anti Love love'n. Okay, that's enough. I actually like the Lopez pick, if you need a big guy, I'd go with Lopez over Kevin "stiff" Love. But, I disagree in the sense that in the NBA, a needs based draft strategy, is a bad strategy. Go with the best player available. Period. To me its Mayo not Brad Miller deuce or Collins Twins deuce.
As for your pick of Love for the Oklahoma Sonics, of course I think that's moronic. But, since I am a moron, it could also be a great pick. If you are the Okl. Sonics owner(They will need to change that to the Oklahoma Laters (i.e. Sooniers), Oklahoma Cows , or Oklahoma Red People (evidently that's what Oklahoma means in Choctaw. Wiki is great), I think you go with the guy that puts people in the seats. Absent Kevin Love's whiteness, I don't think he will put enough Red People in the seats. I think you take whomever is left from Mayo, Woods, or even Eric Gordon, with that pick.
P.S. Didn’t the Clippers have this pick. SagiNasty you are a dumbass, unless the Okl. Red People trade up here. With that being said, I say the same thing.
Oh yeah, why does OJ Mayo look like a tax accountant in that suit? Also, why does he look even skinnier than Tayshawn Prince? I might need to revise my Mayo beliefs.
5. Memphis Grizzlies- Who Gives a shit, its Memphis. (Another team that needs to shed its old city nickname). Really, Memphis and Grizzlies? -
Why is there a Memphis basketball team? Have we run out of large NBA cities? What's next Oklahoma city? Oh yeah, right.
With that being said, if Lopez doesn't go before this, Memphis should pick Lopez. It he's gone, I do see them going with Love, although I think its about 5-6 picks to early. Realistically, they need to trade in their entire team (Kwame Brown is on their roster). Absent a Memphis Roster for the Charlotte Bobcats Roster trade, Memphis should go with Eric Gordon. It doesn't fit really with the team, but he is the best player available. I know, SagiNasty you're going to call out my bias to Indiana, but let it be known I am not a Hoosier. I attended college at IU, but I am not a Hoosier, I repeat I am not a Hoosier. I want nothing to do with the state; I hate Bobby Knight, Cougar Mellencamp, and the Pacers. While I follow the Hoosiers basketball team, I am not a 100% fan. More like a 68.7% fan. In fact, I am almost a free agent when it comes to my allegiance to Hoosier Basketball. I'm like the overrated safety of the Super bowl winning team, ready to accept a new contract from the highest bidding team. So if your reading, Duke, Carolina, I can be bought.
John Paxson just came on TV to be interviewed. He was wearing the same purple tie that Beasley was wearing. Beasley went to K-State so purple makes sense. Paxson needs to get some Republican Flag pin lectures on the need to wear the color tie of your team. Shame on you Paxson, you unbuliatic bastard.
Alright, enough of this draft stuff, tell me about your Pistons. Who do they pick (@29) and are they stupid enough to trade their best player Rasheed Wallace?
-----
SagiNasty Bag
I have no idea what kind of crazy nonsense you are talking about with the Fourth Pick, you need to check ESPN.

As for the 'Stons, who knows? I like CDR. I do not like DJ White. In Joe D we trust...

You are a Hoosier, you know it, I know it, and you can take that % and shove it up your hookah. Thus Sayeth the Bags!

No comments: